here are the first two sets from the irish association of korea (iak) 2014 ceili, held at d-cube city, sindorim, seoul yesterday. it was a great day, with good music, dancing and fun. d-cube city is a great venue for this, being a small amphitheatre & plaza of just the right size, and the adjacent d-cube mall is handy for getting a bite of food or something to drink (or some shopping, who knows?).
for the first time, the st. andrew’s society participated which added both more people and another dimension. i’ll be posting about the event later on my a gentleman who lunches blog, so this here is just about the music.
although i’ve billed bard first, above, the ceili started off with ceoltoiri soul, including shauna browne, the iak chieftainess (see? that scottish influence is already taking its toll!). i think they played again later, but sadly i missed that — ceoltoiri soul were great! after some irish dancing, bard came on and played a fantastic set. they finished with a big dance number which was just as well as the scots were on next with a bit of dancing and then everyone was already warmed up for to join the scots for a go at ‘strip the willow’.
anyway, a great day! if you’re in seoul in mid-october ever, look up the iak and don’t miss the ceili!
Also… .. . thanks for any help on names and/or song titles!
bard and ceoltoiri soul
irish association of korea 2014 ceili
d-cube city, sindorim, seoul, korea
18 oct 2014
shauna browne – tin whistle
dimitri – tin whistle
robin carson – accordion
grainne barret – piano accordion
? – bodhran
1 (cut in) unknown (1:40)
2 talk – shauna browne (0:36)
3 unknown (4:27)
4 unknown (3:27)
5 talk – shauna browne (0:24)
6 unknown (2:55)
7 unknown (3:13)
8 outro – shauna browne / fr. sean conneally (0:12)
(musicians not identied)
1 intro fr. sean conneally (1:02)
2 unknown / warm up (1:08)
3 unknown (4:25)
4 talk (1:00)
5 unknown (3:26)
6 talk (1:07)
7 unknown (4:05)
8 talk (1:26)
9 unknown (5:04)
10 talk (0:38)
11 unknown (5:24)
12 talk (0:30)
13 unknown (3:42)
14 talk (0:39)
15 unknown (4:27)
16 talk (1:16)
17 unknown (4:07)
source: zoom h4n > audacity (fix hums; amplify +7db) > cd wave editor (splits) > .wav > tlh > .flac (level 5)
recorded from front row center, but with a dance space between seats & stage
– we had to leave before the end, so there may have been another set, whether by bard, ceoltoiri soul or someone else.
– this was recorded at a ceili, so there is quite a bit of crowd noise throughout (particularly on a few tracks) a bit of crowd noise on some songs. despite that, i think that the recording came out very well.
– there are a few glitches: (a) bad hums in a few spots (especially on the very last track). that was from the sound system, not the zoom h4n. they were really loud, so i dumped the volume on those in audacity, to avoid blasting your eardrums. (b) low recording levels were a problem. playing it back, i had foobar2000, my laptop’s volume and my tv/monitor all turned up all the way… so i used audacity to amplify by +7.0db. the volume is still low, but better. however, (c) that caused a bit of clipping. not much, and only in a couple of very short spots.
Ceoltoiri Soul t06.mp3
in an exception to my usual practice, here are copies in both .flac and .mp3 formats:
- flac (lossless) IAK2014Ceili_Bard_CeoltoiriSoul_2014-10-18_Seoul.zip
- mp3 (CBR, 320kbps) IAK2014Ceili_Bard_CeoltoiriSoul_2014-10-18_Seoul_MP3.zip