here are links to shows on the internet archive that i think are worth downloading, plus links to some work i’ve done tracking recordings from the internet archived. if i’ve blogged about it here, the link might be to my blog posting.
- benny goodman – the famous 1938 carnegie hall jazz concert (blog) or directly to archive.org
the niven collection
links to recordings from “the david w. niven collection of early jazz legends, 1921-1991” on the internet archive. see here for my comments on the niven collection. while the original recordings are not tracked (1 .wav per tape side), i’vesplit several tapes into tracks (in .flac format) and plan to track more tapes. the listings here are either tapes i like or that i’ve tracked.
- overview of the niven collection
- search the internet archive for all tapes in the collection
- bessie smith – all tapes (1923-1933) – tracked
- ben webster – tape 1 (1932-1939) – tracked
- duke ellington band – live in fargo, nd, 7-nov-1940:
from the book-of-the-month club lp’s issued in the early 1970s, this is split between tape 22 and tape 23.